Officials: ‘Click It Or Ticket’ Campaign Starts Monday

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — While wearing your seat belt while you’re driving is something you should always be doing, there’s more reason to do it starting Monday as agencies from around the state are targeting unbelted drivers.

Officials said Minnesota traffic deaths in 2013 have reached more than 100, which is slightly above the 96 deaths reported at this time last year.

At this rate, the Minnesota Department of Public Safety estimates around 400 deaths for 2013. The final 2012 count will be announced in June.

Of the 102 deaths so far in 2013, at least 30 were not belted at the time of the crash.

Law enforcement agencies around the state are enforcing a crackdown on seat belt usage for their annual “Click It or Ticket” campaign. The goal is to prevent fatalities in accents by making sure you buckle up.

Extra patrols around Minnesota are starting Monday and lasting through June 2.

Officials with the campaign said out of the 864 traffic deaths over the last few years, 41 percent of those victims were not wearing seat belts. Authorities said your odds of getting hurt are six times greater if you’re not wearing your seat belt.

A no-seat belt ticket has a base fine of $25, but with court costs and administrative fees that can reach upwards of $100.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More From WCCO | CBS Minnesota

Trees Of Hope
Good Question

Listen Live