Police Say Uptown Shooting Investigation Is Complete
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – The Minneapolis Police Department announced Friday that the investigation into last month’s officer-involved shooting in Uptown, which left a 22-year-old man dead, is complete. But that is all authorities are saying.
In a press release, the department said it presented the case to the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office Friday morning. A police spokesperson told WCCO that the department is not going to make any statements on its findings until the attorney’s office completes its part of the investigation.
In recent weeks, the department has been the target of serious allegations. The parents and attorney for Terrance “Mookie” Franklin, whom police fatally shot on May 10 during a struggle in a home on 27th Street and Bryant Avenue S., have accused the department of racial profiling. They also said officers used racial epithets at points during the shooting. Chief Janee Harteau responded to the allegations of racism, calling them “preposterous” and “without merit.”
Friends and family of Franklin have also marched in downtown Minneapolis, demanding more information about the shooting from police. They also called for an independent investigator to look at the case.
Police say they are taking their time on this investigation to ensure it is done right, and that all the information given out is correct.
Franklin died of multiple gunshot wounds, according to the medical examiner. Police said he was a robbery suspect who fled both by car and on foot. Officers shot him after he broke into a house and struggled with police. Sources told WCCO that Franklin got hold of an officer’s gun and shot two officers. Both officers suffered non-life-threatening injuries.