17-Year-Old Charged In Deadly St. Paul Shooting
ST. PAUL, Minn. (WCCO) – A teenager has been charged with second-degree murder in the shooting death of a 17-year-old in St. Paul last week.
Kelvin Donald Nickles, 17, also faces one criminal count of crime benefiting a gang.
Police responded to a fight last Thursday near the intersection of Payne and Case avenues, when someone started shooting.
According to the criminal complaint, responders found the victim unresponsive at the scene. He was transported to Regions Hospital, where he was pronounced dead shortly thereafter.
Court documents identify the victim as Vince Allison. Officers investigating the shooting said that Allison was believed to be a member of a street gang, and Nickles was a member of a rival gang.
The charges state that, on July 11, Allison was walking with two other members of his gang when they encountered a larger group of Nickles’ gang. Realizing they were outnumbered, Allison and the two others tried to run away.
Investigators said that one of the rival gang members shot Allison as he ran away. Witnesses described the shooter, and surveillance videos helped investigators identify the gunman as Nickles.
Nickles was scheduled to appear in juvenile court at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday. Prosecutors are seeking to try him as an adult.