MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – One of Minnesota’s wolf hunting zones has been closed, the Department of Natural Resources says.
On Monday, the DNR’s website said the northeastern wolf hunting zone is now closed. The zone’s target harvest was listed at 33 wolves; hunters have killed 31 so far. Thirteen of those harvested were killed on the hunt’s opening weekend.
The northwest zone remains open. The target harvest is 73 wolves. Hunters have killed 44 wolves so far.
The early wolf season ends Sunday.
Since it started last year, the wolf hunt has been controversial in Minnesota. Just last week, the group Howling for Wolves urged Gov. Mark Dayton to put a stop to hunt.