DPS: Minn. Traffic Deaths Down In 2013
Get Breaking News First
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Traffic deaths on Minnesota roads were down in 2013 and have decreased sharply over the last decade, the Department of Public Safety (DPS) announced Thursday.
According to preliminary reports, there were 375 traffic fatalities in 2013, down from 395 in 2012. Since 2004, traffic fatalities are down 34 percent, from 567 in 2004 to last year’s 375.
The deadliest months in 2013 were July (52), September (50) and November (38).
Authorities expect the four common traffic safety issues will again be contributing factors for the 2013 deaths: Drunk driving, not using seat belts, speeding and distracted driving.
“Despite last year’s dip in traffic fatalities, these numbers still reflect far too many victims who have lost their lives on our roads,” Donna Berger, DPS Office of Traffic Safety director, said. “We continue to encourage all drivers to make good decisions about driving sober, bucking up, slowing down and eliminating distractions.”
The DPS says that 2013′s final total – available in early summer as additional crash reports are submitted – will be approximately 385.
To see more of the DPS’ report, click here.