Archdiocese Names 9 More Priests With Sex Abuse Claims
ST. PAUL, Minn. (WCCO/AP) — The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis released the names of nine priests on Monday who have had substantiated claims of sexual abuse of minors against them.
A judge denied an attempt by lawyers for the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis to block a court order requiring the archbishop to testify about how the church handled clergy sexual abuse and release the names of all local priests accused of abusing children since 2004.
The archdiocese contended Ramsey County Judge John Van de North exceeded his authority in allowing attorneys for an alleged clergy abuse victim to depose Archbishop John Nienstedt and former Vicar General Kevin McDonough.
Minnesota Public Radio News reports Van de North said in his ruling that there was “no persuasive legal or factual basis” for the motion.
The archdiocese argued that church records and depositions were not relevant to the case brought by a man who said he was sexually abused by priest nearly 40 years ago.
Of the nine names released on Monday, all but one were said to be involved in incidents that happened between 25 and 50 years ago, and three of them have since died.
All of the information is available information can be found online at a webpage created by the Archdiocese.
The St. Paul-Minneapolis Archdiocese previously disclosed a list of 30 priests with credible claims against them.
(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)