MADISON, Minn. (WCCO/AP) — Authorities have released the identify of the 18-year-old man who went missing after a party early Sunday morning and, though he was found later that day, died at the hospital.

On Sunday at about 12:30 a.m., the sheriff’s office responded to a possible underage party with alcohol at 2710 280th Street in rural Madison. There, officers found about 20 vehicles parked at the farm site. When police arrived, some people ran from the farm site.

At about noon, the sheriff’s office received a report of a missing person who was reported to have been at the party. It was later confirmed that the missing person was one of the individuals who ran from farm site.

After a search of the surrounding area, the person was found about four miles from the party at 2882 261st Ave. He was then taken by ambulance to the Madison Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

The Lac qui Parle County Sheriff’s Office identified the man as Michael Anyasike.

On Monday, Anyasike’s mother said he was planning on attending St. John’s University.

“He got accepted there,” Irene Anyasike said. “And we were so happy for that.”

Brad Madsen, the superintendent of the Dawson-Boyd School District, said Anyasike was well-liked at the high school and a standout football player. He said Anyasike was respectful to adults and always had a smile on his face.

“Everybody knew him and everybody knew that family,” Madsen said. “This is one huge tragedy in our town of 1,500.”

Keri Bergeson, the principal of Dawson-Boyd High School,  said Anyasike always had a smile on his face.

“He was always cracking jokes with people, and if they were having a bad day he could find a way to make them laugh,” Bergeson said. “And I think that is a huge reason too why this whole situation is very difficult.”

Counselors from other communities joined those on staff at the high school on Monday.

The school district is organizing a prayer service for Anyasike that will be held in the Dawson-Boyd High School auditorium. A date for the service has not been set.

“They’re talkin’ to a lot of people who were at this…site, and so somehow we’ll get some answers to it but there are so few answers now,” Madsen said.

The sheriff’s office is still investigating.

(TM and © Copyright 2014 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2014 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Comments (3)

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Watch & Listen LIVE