WCCO EYE4 LOGO WCCO Radio wcco-eye-green01, ww color green

Local

Lakeville Grad Critically Hurt In Fire Near UND Campus

View Comments
(credit: KXJB-TV/Grand Forks)

(credit: KXJB-TV/Grand Forks)

Get Breaking News First

Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
Sign Up
Today's Most Popular Video
  1. Tornado Touches Down In Northwestern Minn.
  2. HSSR: Sept. 19, 2014 - Coach Of The Week – Bill Weiss
  3. HSSR: Sept. 19, 2014 - Tyrone Carter's 1-On-1 Coaching
  4. An Alligator On The Loose In Minnesota?
  5. Mike's Mix: The Big Easy

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – A Lakeville native is in critical condition at Hennepin County Medical Center after being pulled from a burning home by a friend near the University of North Dakota campus last Sunday, authorities said.

According to his CaringBridge page, Matthew Heisler was alone in his home in Grand Forks early Sunday morning when a fire with heavy smoke broke out. At about 2:40 a.m., a roommate came home to see smoke through the windows.

According to KXJB-TV, fire officials said Ryan Nelson rescued his roommate, Heisler, from the house fire on the 2000 block of 1st Avenue North. The CaringBridge page said Nelson ran to the back of the house where Heisler’s room is and used a brick to break a window and gain entry. Heisler was not in his bed, but Nelson went back outside the house and around to the front, forcing his way inside.

He eventually found Heisler not breathing and with no heartbeat. CPR was used to get Heisler’s heart started again before he could be taken to a hospital. Heisler was airlifted to HCMC, where he’s in critical condition.

Authorities said the fire was likely caused by unattended cooking, and the home sustained about $80,000 in damage.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,861 other followers