Amtrak Resuming Service At Union Depot
Get Breaking News First
Today's Most Popular Video
- Dancin' Grandpa Turns Down For Nothing During '50s Medley
- 4 Things To Know For July 23, 2014
- Top Mpls. Chefs To Pair Dishes With City's Finest Craft Brews
- Recall On Some Fruit Sold At Costco, Trader Joe’s, Sam’s
- <a href="http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/video/10395857-video/"The Lowdown: EPA Tweets About Kim Kardashian
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — The tracks at Union Depot in downtown St. Paul have been quiet for 43 years, so it’s big news that Amtrak is resuming passenger service again.
The westbound Empire Builder is expected to pull into the restored train station around 10 p.m. Wednesday.
Earlier in the day, officials showed off the new passenger area, while getting ready for more trains.
It’s part of a whole week of celebrating railroads in America.
“Amtrak has now set ridership records in 10 of the last 11 years, and its ridership is growing faster than any other major travel mode,” said Karen Hedlund of the Federal Railroad Administration.
The station is open for all rail fans to come and observe, and it will also have light rail service starting next month.