Charges Dropped Against Man Who Allegedly Threatened Daughter With AK-47
Get Breaking News First
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – The Ramsey County Attorney’s Office said Monday it has dropped the charges against a man accused of threatening his daughter with an assault rifle over her grades in school.
Kirill Bartashevich, 51, was charged Jan. 25, 2013, with terroristic threats in connection with the incident that happened about two weeks prior. The charges previously filed in the case state that St. Paul Police were called to Central High School on Jan. 17 after a report of an assault against a 15-year-old female student.
A social worker at the school had received a report from a parent who was monitoring her son’s electronic communications. Those communications indicated that Bartashevich had sent the boy a message that he had pointed an AK-47 at the girl.
The complaint stated that the girl and Bartashevitch were arguing at their residence on Jan. 13 about her grades in school. She was getting two Bs in school instead of two As. He swore at the girl, who then told him she hated him, and he grabbed a recently purchased AK-47 and pointed it at her.
According to the complaint, he bought the rifle because he knew it would soon be banned. The girl’s mother jumped between them when he pointed the gun, and the girl was eventually ordered to go to her room by Bartashevitch. The girl’s mother told police that when she intervened, Bartasevitch threw her to the floor and that he pointed the gun at both of them, the complaint states.
The charges in the case were dropped on Monday. The Ramsey County Attorney’s Office said there was insufficient evidence to pursue the case.
“There was insufficient evidence to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt. In this particular instance, the victims refused to cooperate, thus making it virtually impossible to prove a terroristic threats case.”