Teen Struck By Suspected Drunken Driver Dies
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A 16-year-old boy died after his vehicle was rear-ended by a suspected drunken driver last week.
According to the State Patrol, the driver has not been charged, but authorities said he had also been involved in an earlier crash that day along Highway 252 in Brooklyn Park and had fled the scene.
The family of the teenager involved in one of those crashes — Jason McCarthy — said via CaringBridge that he had been taken to North Memorial Medical Center.
On Wednesday, McCarthy’s family released a statement on the site: “We are so very sad to share that yesterday afternoon the doctors confirmed Jason’s death. What a wonderful, kind, loving, talented, giving and very loved boy he was. Nothing will be the same without him. He always made everything better. We love him so much and will miss him every moment.”
Champlin Park High School Principal Mike George also released a statement: “Our hearts are hurting any time there is a tragedy in our CPHS family. In times such as these we do all we can to support our students, families, and staff. Anyone who would like to send their thoughts to the family should do so through their Caring Bridge site.”
Following the crash involving McCarthy’s vehicle, a State Trooper said on the scene that the driver showed signs of being drunk. A blood test was taken at the hospital.