More Absentee Voting Options In Minnesota This Year

ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Minnesota residents have more options than ever for casting a ballot in the general election, making it more convenient for those who can’t make it to the polls Nov. 8.

For the first time, state residents can start casting absentee ballots in this year’s general election on Sept. 23 without providing an excuse for why they can’t get to a polling place, MPR News reported.

Minnesota residents will also be able to vote early beginning seven days before Election Day. They will be able to fill out ballots at elections offices and feed them into voting machines as they typically would.

Secretary of State Steve Simon said he believes the new options will change how many Minnesota residents vote and make it more convenient for those who can’t vote within Election Day’s 13-hour window.

“It helps everybody,” Simon said. “I think as more people hear about this, I can tell you more people are excited about it.”

Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party chair Ken Martin said new ways to vote also have big implications for candidates.

“From a campaign perspective it really means that it’s elongated that get-out-the-vote period,” Martin said.

He said the party will use 300 staffers in 25 offices around the state to focus on a slew of close legislative contests and competitive congressional races in the 2nd, 3rd and 8th Districts.

Republican Party of Minnesota Chairman Keith Downey said the GOP will make similar efforts to encourage voters to go to the polls, but declined to specify how many officers or staff members would be involved.

“I personally have always thought that going to vote on Election Day is preferable,” he said, adding that voting early risks missing the opportunity to react to an 11th hour campaign development that could change the way someone might vote.

Minnesota led the nation in voter turnout in the last presidential election, with more than 76 percent of eligible voters casting ballots.

(© Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments

1. MN Cares says:

Translation…. more ways for democrat voter fraud.

1. dan w says:

Can you cite any instances of fraud?

Any effort to make voting easier is a good thing, the more people involved means a more representative outcome. It’s only Republicans that are against higher voter turnout because the larger number of people getting involved has proven to be very hard on them. 70%+ turnout here, on a very consistent basis, is why Minnesota is such a “Blue” state, and that seems to carry across to other states as well.

But again I ask, can you cite any instances of fraud?

1. MN Cares says:

Well since you are such an intelligent person, look at states out east from the Obama elections…. there are numerous instances where counties had 100% red vote or in counties that are typically blue, but red won, showed 100% turnout for the vote. Never in the history of modern day voting has there ever been 100% turnout for an entire county for an election.

2. S Strand says:

Reasoning would dictate that for the average person finding a way to the polls has been accomplished. Why all of a sudden is there a problem and maybe if there is, those people most likely, don’t know enough about the choices to begin with. If they can afford expensive computers, tv’s and phones, they sure should be able to find a ride to a poll. That is why it is suspicious. Usually absentee voting is for Military, people that go South for Winters, and disabled and or elderly in rural areas, that have spent their life time exercising their responsibility, to know the facts. If you don’t know that the dead have voted in elections, you need to do some detective work.

1. dan w says:

You say, “Reasoning would dictate that for the average person finding a way to the polls has been accomplished.” Actually no, it hasn’t been.

You have clearly never worked in poor communities, urban or rural, transportation anywhere is a huge deal, transportation on a specific day is even more of a challenge. While the law allows everyone time to go vote, rarely are employers expected to abide, even when they do, many of those employees know that that will be held against them in the future and taking the time off means a smaller paycheck.

I’m sure voting for you is easy, voting for me has always been easy, that doesn’t change the fact that it’s not for millions of citizens. Your comment about people having “expensive computers, tv’s and phones”, that sounds like Reagan’s myth of the “welfare queen”, they didn’t exist then, they don’t exist now. For millions of people in this country, getting anywhere outside their neighborhood on a specific day, can be a huge undertaking. I hope you never have to experience it.

What is wrong with expanding the opportunities to vote? Other than the alleged dead people voting in Chicago elections, which actually wouldn’t surprise me because Chicago politics doesn’t resemble politics anywhere else, where has voter fraud ever been a problem? Oregon automatically registers everyone, mails you the ballot, you vote and send it back, no traveling, no lines to stand in, no fraud to speak of. That should be the Federal standard. If we don’t make registration automatic and handle it all by mail, at the very least, Election Day should be a Federal Holiday.

We’re supposed to be the shining example of democracy in the world, our voter participation is an embarrassment compared to almost any other country, Jimmy Carter and his group get called to oversee elections in countries with better turnout than ours.. Now that’s just sad.

If we really want a representative government, we need to make sure everyone who wants to vote does. Being opposed to that tells me you don’t want a government that represents all of us, is that it?

1. S Strand says:

I have tried to reply to your narrow minded pile of dung of my life’s history. Its been deleted three times, by this backwards site that caters to people like you. You are so wrong of where i have lived and what I have done., Thats why I know what I wrote. Where I now live, you probably could not handle as it is so rural. I lived in New England for decades, in the city, suburbs and again rural. Same here in MN. Ignorance, should not be your strong point. I have lived long enough to recognize that our country is full of lazy whining crybabies, today, that do a lot of sucking, but little giving back.

1. dan w says:

Have you ever read the comments here? This place is loaded with small-minded right-wingers like you, you should feel right at home.

Where you have lived means nothing, what has been your participation in the community? Did you work with or help your neighbors in any meaningful way? I have lived and worked in the great cities of the world, I grew up in this one and when I retired I moved back, that is not something I’m ashamed of. I also raised two amazing daughters in rural southern Minnesota, they both still live there and are now raising my grandchildren there, so don’t think I don’t know both communities.

“I have lived long enough to recognize that our country is full of lazy whining crybabies, today, that do a lot of sucking, but little giving back.”

There are some, the country isn’t full of them, these days the loudest crybabies seem to be right-wingers like yourself, but you’re right about the giving back part. You and most anyone like you, always has time to complain about how things are, but never really does anything to help fix things… You’re always up for pointing out problems, when is the last time you were at the Capitol trying to change things? Do you spend any time working with your elected representatives fixing the problems you see?

There are things that need work, but I think you’re just one of the “lazy whining crybabies” you speak of when it comes to the actual work of fixing things.

2. Kally Waters says:

Now doctors think Hillary is in the early stages of Dementia.