Latest Minnesota Weather
As cold as this spring was, and as chilly as this Thursday feels, it would probably surprise few to learn that a WCCO photojournalist captured what appeared to be a chunk of ice floating down the Mississippi River in June.
Every time there is the threat of a tornado, hundreds of storm chasers take their cameras and drive towards the danger. On Friday, three of the most respected chasers died during a tornado outbreak in Oklahoma. Meteorologist Tim Samaras, his son Paul and their friend Carl Young were killed when their car got caught up in the twister.
A fast-moving storm has pelted the Twin Cities with hail and rain. The cloudburst hit downtown Minneapolis mid-afternoon Friday. National Weather Service meteorologist Dan Luna says the rain stretched from the Shakopee-Savage area southwest of Minneapolis north to North Branch.
A monstrous tornado at least a half-mile wide roared through the Oklahoma City suburbs Monday, flattening entire neighborhoods and destroying an elementary school with a direct blow as children and teachers huddled against winds up to 200 mph. At least 37 people were killed, and officials said the death toll was expected to rise. The storm laid waste to scores of buildings in Moore, south of the city. Block after block of the community lay in ruins.
It was a nice tiny break of sunshine in between thunderstorms but it appears the clouds are moving in once again.
This week’s update from the U.S. Drought Monitor shows more improvement in parts of south-central and eastern Minnesota, where areas that had been abnormally dry are now rated normal.
- Nat’l Weather Service Cuts Could Put Minnesotans In Harm’s Way 2013/05/06
- Obama Declares Storm Disaster After Ice Storm 2013/05/03
- Some Schoolchildren Get Rare May Snow Day 2013/05/02
- Over 40K Customers Lose Power In Minn., Wis., Iowa 2013/05/02
- Building Partially Collapses In May Snow Storm 2013/05/02
- Winter Weather Returns For Yet Another Curtain Call 2013/05/01
- April Showers Bring May Snow? 2013/04/30
- WCCO Trains 100+ ‘Weather Spotters’ 2013/04/27
- Meet Phyllis & Doug, Just Two Of Our Weather Watchers 2013/04/25
- Curiocity: A Chef’s Profile Of Alex Roberts, Part 2 June 19, 2013
- Movie Blog: This Week’s Best Bets June 17, 2013
- Beyond Bounds: Karter Smith – Mr. Consistent – Taking Golf Talents To Drake June 15, 2013
- Esme’s Blog: Lt. Col. Mark Weber — American Hero June 15, 2013
- Movie Blog: ‘Man Of Steel,’ ‘The End,’ & Arrested Development June 14, 2013
- Tommies Blog Jeff Wald covers all the angles of the St. Thomas football season.
- Esme's Blog Esme Murphy writes about politics and who’s who in Minnesota.
- Weather Blog Lifestyle weather, from the WCCO weather team.
- Bite Of Minnesota Crystal Grobe brings the excitement of fresh and local to your kitchen.
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.