A federal appeals court upheld the convictions and prison sentences Tuesday for two Minnesota women found guilty of conspiring to funnel money to a terror group in Somalia despite claiming they were collecting funds for the poor.
A Minnesota man convicted of threatening federal agents during a terrorism investigation has been released while a judge weighs whether a recent Supreme Court decision affects his case.
A federal appeals court has affirmed the conviction of a man who authorities say played a key role in funneling others from Minnesota to the terrorist group al-Shabab in Somalia.
An 18-year-old Minnesota man has now pleaded guilty to trying to join the terror group ISIS. Abdullahi Yusef was charged last month with conspiracy to provide material support to a terrorist organization.
An Oscar worthy Monday on the Morning News. Click the link above to listen to Oscar recaps and more…
A Minnesota man who left the U.S. in 2007 and joined the terrorist group al-Shabab in Somalia was released from federal prison on Thursday, but is now in the custody of U.S. immigration officials.
A man who was sentenced to prison for leaving the U.S. in 2007 and joining the terror group al-Shabab in Somalia has served his time and is scheduled to be released from a federal facility in Rochester on Thursday, according to the Federal Bureau of Prisons website.
After an expected one million people demonstrated in Paris Sunday in a show of national unity against terror, it’s important to remember that terrorist groups are trying to recruit young, disenfranchised people in Minnesota.
A Somali youth group wants more than $4 million in state funding for workforce training, arts initiatives and after-school programs to fight international terrorist recruitment across Minnesota.
Gunmen shot and killed a Somali-American from Minnesota who had left a well-paying job in the U.S. to help the fledgling city government in Mogadishu, an official and relative said Wednesday. Abdullahi Ali Anshur, 60, was an engineer helping the Mogadishu government with urban planning and drainage systems. He was killed after armed militants from the Islamic extremist group al-Shabab stopped his vehicle and sprayed it with bullets on Monday, police Capt. Mohamed Hussein said.
A man who allegedly contacted a terror suspect who’s wanted in Minnesota for his ties to al-Shabab has been charged with lying to the FBI. Mahdi Hussein Furreh is indicted in federal court in Minnesota on one count of making a false statement. According to the indictment, Furreh lied to the FBI in January when he denied knowing anyone by the name of “Adaway.”
The nation’s largest community of Somalis is on a mission to stamp out recruiting for Syrian extremist groups in Minneapolis after a handful of people left to join militants. Community leaders and law-enforcement agencies fear the extremists are looking for more recruits. The anti-jihad work is not unlike efforts to keep young people out of gangs in any number of other U.S. cities.
A former Minnesota woman who lied to a grand jury about raising money for men who left the state to join a terrorist group in Somalia was sentenced Wednesday to three years of probation and ordered to perform community service. Saynab Hussein, 24, of Nashville, Tennessee, showed remorse during Wednesday’s sentencing hearing in U.S. District Court in Minneapolis.
Al-Shabab uses Internet videos to convince Minnesota men to come back to Somalia. But now, a Somali youth group is fighting back with a documentary of their own.
Mohamed arah and other members of the Somali-American group Ka Joog have been working since 2007 to combat radicalism among Somali youth in Minnesota by providing positive alternatives through education, the arts and mentorship.
A young woman who lied to a grand jury about raising money for men who left Minnesota to join a terrorist group in Somalia was actually involved in the conspiracy herself — and warned the men to be careful in case the FBI was listening, prosecutors said during her sentencing hearing Tuesday.
An early morning raid by Navy SEALs targeted one of the senior leaders of al-Shabab. The strike comes two weeks after al-Shabab militants attacked a mall in Kenya. The Defense Department not yet said if the leader was captured alive. The FBI says more than two dozen young Somali-Americans from the Twin Cities have been lured to terror training camps overseas. Abdi Bihi of the Somali Education and Social Advocacy Center says Saturday’s raid is a good thing for families living in the state.
Leaders of the nation’s largest Somali community say some of their young men are still being enticed to join the terror group that has claimed responsibility for the deadly mall attack in Kenya, despite a concentrated effort to shut off what authorities call a “deadly pipeline” of men and money.
The Mall of America has stepped up security following the deadly attack by the Somali militant group al-Shabab at a mall in Nairobi, Kenya. Officials at the Bloomington mall say some of the extra security precautions will be noticeable and some won’t be.
The Twin Cities Somali community is wondering whether two of its own are involved in the Kenyan mall attack that killed 62 people. There have been reports that two of the attackers are from the Twin Cities.
A man sentenced to 20 years in prison for his role in a pipeline that funneled young men from Minnesota to a terrorist group in Somalia is being allowed to withdraw his appeal.
A 23-year-old woman is admitting she lied to a grand jury investigating the case of young men who left Minnesota to fight in Somalia. Saynab Hussein pleaded guilty Thursday to one count of perjury.
A Minnesota woman was sentenced Thursday to 20 years in prison for sending money to an al-Qaida-linked group in her native Somalia, despite her insistence that she was only trying to help the poor in the war-torn East African country.
A man who admitted he lied before a grand jury investigating why young Somali men were leaving Minnesota to join a terrorist group in their homeland has been sentenced to two years in prison. Adarus Abdulle Ali pleaded guilty in 2009 to one count of perjury.
Four more men convicted in the government’s investigation into terror recruiting for al-Shabab in Somalia are scheduled to be sentenced in federal court. The defendants who face sentencing Tuesday include two men who left Minnesota to join the terrorist group.