Archbishop John Nienstedt
Last week, the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis announced it was filing for bankruptcy amid lawsuits claiming sexual abuse by priests. Tuesday, they were in court to hash out some of the details.
The Archdiocese of Minneapolis and St. Paul has filed for bankruptcy amid lawsuits alleging sexual abuse by some of their clergy members.
The archbishop of the St. Paul-Minneapolis Archdiocese says he has ordered a bankruptcy declaration because it’s the fairest way to help victims of sexual abuse by priests.
The investigation into allegations that Archbishop John Nienstedt engaged in sexually inappropriate conduct with adult members of the clergy has apparently entered a new phase.
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis is suing 20 insurance companies to try to force them to cover its liabilities for clergy sex abuse claims. The carriers provided liability coverage to the archdiocese going back to the late 1940s through 1986.
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis reported a $9.1 million operating deficit for fiscal year 2014 and said Thursday that it is considering filing for bankruptcy as its financial condition has become more uncertain due to the growing potential for more lawsuits by victims of clergy sexual abuse.
Archbishop John Nienstedt’s testimony about when he knew about an abusive priest contradicts information in letters he exchanged with a parishioner six years ago. Minnesota Public Radio News reports that Nienstedt made a false statement when he testified on April 2 that he learned about the prior conviction of the Rev. Gilbert Gustafson “during the last six months.”
In her first in-depth television interview, the whistleblower in the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis abuse scandal said Archbishop John Nienstedt must step down. Jennifer Haselberger, the Nienstedt’s former top legal adviser, said Monday’s announcement of new policies to protect children is a significant victory, but believes new leadership is needed to implement them.
Some parishioners spent their mass in tears at St. Victoria Catholic Church Sunday. It was the first official Sunday without the church’s music director of 18 years, Jamie Moore. Moore says he chose to resign after marrying his longtime partner, because Archbishop John Nienstedt asked him to.
A music director at a Minnesota Catholic church was forced to resign after he married his long-time partner. Jamie Moore had been the music director at St. Victoria Catholic Church in Victoria. This past weekend, Moore married his partner, Garrett.
The embattled Twin Cities archdiocese has appointed a former top cop to investigate allegations of clergy abuse. Tim O’Malley is not only the former Superintendent of the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, he is also a judge and a former FBI agent.
The Archbishop of St. Paul and Minneapolis says he will not resign and insists the Church has turned a corner with new policies to better address allegations of sexual abuse by priests. You can watch the entirety of Esme Murphy’s interview with the archbishop here.
The Roman Catholic archbishop of St. Paul and Minneapolis says he won’t resign despite criticism over the archdiocese’s handling of sexual abuse claims involving priests. Archbishop John Nienstedt made his comments in in a column that will appear in Thursday’s archdiocese newspaper, The Catholic Spirit.
Lawyers for the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis return to court Monday to ask a judge to dismiss a clergy sex abuse lawsuit that’s already forced painful revelations about how top church officials handled allegations of misconduct by priests.
A canon lawyer alleging a widespread cover-up of clergy sex misconduct in the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis has made her most detailed claims yet, accusing archbishops and their top staff of lying to the public and of ignoring the U.S. bishops’ pledge to have no tolerance of priests who abuse.