Archbishop John Nienstedt
Newly released records show the man who was second in charge to Archbishop John Nienstedt had urged him to step down during the investigation of sexual abuse in the church.
We are learning more about what top officials in the Twin Cities Archdiocese have to say about allegations they covered up sexual abuse cases involving clergy members and children.
Attorneys for victims of alleged sexual abuse by priests have released the deposition of Twin Cities Archbishop John Nienstedt to the public.
The Catholic Archdiocese of St. Paul-Minneapolis is disputing the suggestion that Archbishop John Nienstedt didn’t cooperate fully with a court-ordered deposition. Nienstedt was deposed Wednesday over his handling of clergy sexual abuse allegations.
Archbishop John Nienstedt spent most of the day answering questions under oath about clergy sex abuse. After the deposition, however, clergy sex abuse Attorney Jeff Anderson accused the Archbishop of failing to turn over court ordered documents and refusing to answer key questions.
Prosecutors say they want St. Paul Police to reopen a sexual abuse case against Archbishop John Nienstedt, but not because of any new evidence. The Ramsey County Attorney’s office told WCCO that it doesn’t want reports from the Nienstedt case being made public yet because of other elements that need to be investigated. They say those other elements don’t have anything to do with the archbishop.
Charges will not be filed against Archbishop John Nienstedt in connection with a police report filed by a priest on Dec.16, 2013. According to the Ramsey County Attorney’s Office, St. Paul Police conducted an “extensive investigation” surrounding the allegation that Nienstedt inappropriately touched a boy during a photo session at a confirmation ceremony at the Cathedral of Saint Paul on May 5, 2009.
A judge has denied an attempt by lawyers for the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis to block a court order requiring the archbishop to testify about how the church handled clergy sexual abuse and release the names of all local priests accused of abusing children since 2004.
The head of the Catholic Church in the Twin Cities will soon answer questions from lawyers about alleged church abuse.
Former priest Tom Esch believes it was a courageous move for Archbishop John Nienstedt to apologize to parishioners at Our Lady of Grace church last weekend.
The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis announced Tuesday an allegation of inappropriate touching has been brought against Archbishop John Nienstedt.
Archbishop John Nienstedt addressed the sex abuse scandal involving priests in the St. Paul and Minneapolis Archdiocese at two mass services Sunday in Edina.
Twin Cities Catholics are anxious to hear from Archbishop John Nienstedt. “I am curious to hear what he has to say, absolutely,” said parishioner Maria Medina DeSmith. Nienstedt is expected to make a public apology Sunday surrounding the priest abuse scandal that is rocking the local Catholic Church. It will be part of the homily given at Our Lady of Grace Church in Edina. “I think that’s good, healthy,” parishioner Mark Photoidaes said. “I think it’s important to acknowledge the situation and, he’s doing the right thing.”
The Archdiocese of Minneapolis and St. Paul announced a list of 34 priests credibly accused of sexual abuse earlier this week. Critics said more names should have been on that list, that the Archdiocese was forced to release the names and that without a court order they would not have done so.
The archbishop in St. Paul and Minneapolis says he hopes the disclosure of names of priests who have been accused of sexually abusing minors will help restore trust in the church and foster healing for those who have been harmed.