From a problem with increasing prison deaths to an embarrassing stage malfunction, here are the four stories to know for Wednesday, Aug. 5.
This year’s mild winter was still cold enough to turn deadly.
Exposure to the cold was a factor in the deaths of at least 43 Minnesotans from Oct. 1, 2014, through the end of March, according to the state Department of Health.
More than five years after hundreds of Americans got sick from eating salmonella-tainted peanut butter, the top executive at the Georgia plant where it was made was convicted Friday and faces prison time in a rare food-poisoning trial that advocates said sends a stern warning to others who may be tempted to place profits over safety.
Lung cancer is currently the deadliest cancer, followed by colorectal and breast. But deaths from pancreatic and liver cancer are on the rise.
There will be no felony charges filed against the driver of the car that plunged into a retention pond in St. Louis Park last fall, killing two young children, according to the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office.
Authorities are investigating an outbreak of norovirus at the Minnesota Veterans Home that may have been connected to four deaths last weekend. As of this point, officials said that there has been only one hospitalization they have confirmed to be connected with the outbreak.
Medical officials fear the rise of heroin abuse in Minnesota is connected to an increase in hepatitis C. Some suspect dirty needles may be to blame.
State officials say infant deaths in child care settings dropped significantly in 2013. The Minnesota Department of Human Services says three babies died in licensed day care last year, the lowest number in 11 years.
A Twin Cities family is dealing with the loss of two brothers who died within just 10 days of each other. Thirty-year-old Eric Kaupang died unexpectedly on Jan. 2 while on his way to work. His brother, 31-year-old Edwin Kaupang, died 10 days later from an undetected heart condition.
The Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office says 54 people died as a result of heroin overdoses in the county last year.
Deaths and other harm to patients from preventable errors such as falls and surgical mistakes have dropped in the 10 years since Minnesota started requiring hospitals and other care centers to report them, according to a report released Thursday.
It’s a troubling trend and a warning for parents: There was a record number of deaths connected to heroin overdose in Hennepin County last year. Fifty-four people died in 2013, that’s up substantially from eight deaths in 2010, the year law enforcement notice an upward trend in overdoses.
The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) says the state’s suicide rate is inching upward. The rate rose to 12.4 per 100,000 people last year, up from 11.2 from 2011. The new rate mirrors the national average. The MDH says 684 people killed themselves in the most recent period. To put that number in perspective, Minnesota had 368 traffic-related deaths in 2011. The data shows a general upward trend apart from a short-term dip around 2009.
Five car crash-related deaths and 560 DWI arrests occurred during the Fourth of July holiday period, says the Department of Public Safety. During the holiday period – from Wednesday, July 3 at 5:30 p.m. through Sunday, July 7 – there were five people killed in four crashes. Three of the deaths were motorcyclists killed in two separate crashes on July 4 – the deadliest day of the year on Minnesota roads, according to DPS records. On the evening of July 3, a bicyclist was struck and killed by a hit-and-run driver in south Minneapolis.
Heroin deaths in the Twin Cities are on pace to hit a new record this year. So far in 2013, 15 people have died from heroin overdose in Hennepin, Scott, and Dakota counties. It isn’t a new problem, but is far more dangerous than a few years ago.
The fewest people died in Wisconsin traffic deaths in the month of May since the end of World War II, according to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation. Thirty-three people died in Wisconsin crashes, 17 fewer than May 2012 and 19 under the five-year average for the month of May.
The Minnesota Health Department reported three more flu deaths in the last week, bringing the season’s total number of fatalities closer to 200. The latest figures show 197 deaths in Minnesota due to influenza.
The two people found dead in a Bagley, Minn. residence have been identified as a mother and son, according to police.
Minnesota health officials say that another two people have died of flu-related causes this season. Since last October, there have now been 190 flu-related deaths in the state.
At least eight people were killed on Minnesota roads this past weekend, which makes it the deadliest weekend of the year, according to the Minnesota Department of Public Safety.
Health officials say two additional deaths have been attributed to the flu in Minnesota, but they say the outbreak is slowing.
Minnesota human services officials say the number of infant deaths in child care settings has dropped significantly this year.
The Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is assisting with a possible crime scene in Zimmerman, according to the authorities.
A Wisconsin father who admitted to killing his three little girls is heading to trial Monday.
The River Falls, Wis., man accused of killing his three daughters plans to change his plea to guilty in a Wisconsin court on Wednesday.