Food safety advocates say a guilty verdict in a rare federal food-poisoning trial should send a stern warning to anyone who may be tempted to place profits over people’s welfare.
Shirley Mae Almer died a few days before Christmas in 2008 at a Minnesota hospital where the 72-year-old woman was already weak with illness when she was fed peanut butter contaminated with salmonella.
Minnesota health officials are investigating after dozens of people fell sick at an Ecuadorian festival in Minneapolis earlier this month. At least 81 people have been hospitalized for severe gastrointestinal symptoms.
Minnesota Twins right-hander Liam Hendriks remained hospitalized Sunday with an apparent case of food poisoning.
The “Fireworks” will have to wait while Katy Perry recovers from a bout of food poisoning.