Some of the most serious charges facing the Waseca teen accused of planning to bomb his school and kill his parents have been dismissed. According to court documents filed on Monday, a judge dismissed the four counts of premeditated murder facing 17-year-old John LaDue. The judge said that the state failed to show that the teen made substantial steps toward killing anyone.
Students are back in a southeastern Minnesota school after authorities last week foiled a teenager’s suspected plot to attack the school. Counselors were on hand Monday as students returned to the Waseca junior and senior high school building that was the target of the alleged plot. Superintendent Tom Lee says the school is “just trying to get back to normal as quickly as we can.”
It wasn’t typical for churches in Waseca to host services Friday night, but the past few days have been anything but normal.
Julia Speck would often hear her 17-year-old neighbor, John David LaDue, throwing knives and axes at a tree in the front yard.
A group of mothers in Minnesota is joining a national effort to speak out against gun violence and remember the victims of last year’s school shooting in Newtown, Conn. On Saturday, a group called Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America is organizing 50 events in more than 35 states to honor victims of gun violence.
A day before the anniversary of the shooting that claimed 26 lives in Newtown Conn., another school shooting had a nation collectively saying, “Not again” on Friday. Mass shootings suddenly seem part of the American landscape. A push in the aftermath of the Newtown massacre for tougher gun control laws failed.
Most Minnesota schools will welcome students back on Tuesday, and keeping kids safe while they’re there is a top priority. After a gunman stormed an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., and killed 26 people, some Minnesota schools made changes. This fall, at least five school districts in our state will vote on safety referendums.
In the days after Dec. 14, it was hard for Joel, JoAnn and Guy Bacon to imagine the day they’d be able to talk, even laugh, about their 6-year-old Charlotte. The feisty, smart, happy first-grader was one of 20 students and six adults killed at a Newtown, Connecticut elementary school.
A central Minnesota school district that was the site of a school shooting in 2003 is getting a new device designed to help keep kids safe: bulletproof whiteboards.
The 12-year-old boy accused of reporting a fake school shooting in New Prague must appear in court on Monday.
With a community still reeling after a school shooting hoax, officials say New Prague Area Schools received a bomb threat Thursday, which forced student evacuations.
Students are heading back to class at New Prague public schools following a lockdown caused by a fake emergency call about a shooting.
A student was taken into custody Wednesday after two prank calls were made to police reporting a shooting at New Prague Middle School.
A small Wisconsin community near the Minnesota border is paying tribute to the 20 children killed in the Sandy Hook school shooting.
Gov. Mark Dayton is asking Minnesotans to join in a national moment of silence in honor of the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting.