The illness that made 30 Springfield Public school students sick enough to go to the hospital Thursday was not caused by carbon monoxide, according to the Minnesota Department of Health. A group of fourth and fifth graders became sick while rehearsing for a choir concert. On Friday, school officials say all the students are fine, and health officials think the illness may have been caused by nerves. Bethany Mattson says she was never really worried about her fifth-grade daughter, who was rehearsing with her classmates Thursday morning in the school’s auditorium. But she can see why other parents may have felt differently.
Students were evacuated from a school in Springfield, Minn. Thursday morning after a number of people were sickened with what may have been carbon monoxide poisoning. The Springfield School District’s website confirmed that Springfield Public School was being closed for the day, and students were taken to a nearby community center. Third-grader Emma Pingeon says she witnessed some students vomiting during a morning practice for a choir concert.
Authorities said the bodies of two people were found Friday inside a rural farmhouse in Brown County, and carbon monoxide is suspected in their deaths. The Brown County Sheriff’s Office was called to a residence on 410th Avenue at about 1:40 p.m. Friday in the southwestern Minnesota town of Springfield.
Augustana College sophomore pitcher Jordan Milbrath has signed with the Cleveland Indians and will forgo his junior and senior seasons at the Sioux Falls school. The Indians drafted Milbrath in the 35th round of this year’s Major League Baseball draft.
Hospitals are at capacity, others are keeping visitors out. This season will go down as a bad one for the flu in Minnesota, but for at least one family, it will always be the most heartbreaking.
Jesse Kieper scored 25 points and Dillon Schultz added 17 to lead Springfield to the boys’ Class 1A title Saturday.