(WCCO) — A Coon Rapids family wants to warn other parents about a potential problem they say they found with a certain cabinet lock for kids.READ MORE: Man Hospitalized After Hit-And-Run In Brooklyn Park
The Hultman family was surprised when their daughter tore a safety device made by Safety First apart in seconds.
“What in the world was the company thinking, making locks like this?” said Jamie Hultman.
They then recorded it and sent the video to the company that makes the locks, but what happened next wasn’t the reaction they expected.
When the Hultman’s complained, they were sent more expensive locks. Then, they sent their video off to Safety First. That was months ago. It’s why they’ve decided the popular baby brand isn’t living up to its name.
“I didn’t want a child to get poisoned or die because of a defective lock,” Hultman said.
The Hultman’s spent just a few dollars on the Push ‘n Snap cabinet locks to keep their daughter, Skyly safe in the kitchen. After they broke, they wanted more than their money back.READ MORE: Aromatherapy Spray Linked To Deadly Tropical Disease; 1 Minnesotan Among Those Sickened In U.S.
“We still haven’t gotten a response back,” said Hultman. “They’re still on the shelves because I went and bought one today.”
The family has since found a new system that seems to work and, so far, has kept Skyly out.
Peter Kerin is a professional child proofer at Foresight Childproofing, Inc in Eden Prairie. After years of trying out so many locks, he thinks the magnetic ones work best. They cost a couple of dollars more than plastic cabinet locks.
Kerin says before buying anything it’s best to do your homework.
“What may work for the 8-month-old may not for the 18-month-old,” Kerin said.
A spokesperson for Safety First told WCCO-TV the company stands by their product.MORE NEWS: Child Hurt In St. Paul Shooting; Investigation Underway
WCCO-TV’s Liz Collin Reports