ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — A five-member judicial panel that could decide how Minnesota’s political maps look for the next 10 years has been appointed.

The panel selected by Minnesota Chief Justice Lorie Gildea includes judges first put on the bench by four different governors with varied political backgrounds. Redistricting would fall to the courts if lawmakers don’t arrive at a compromise plan with the governor soon.

The panel consists of Appeals Court Judge Wilhelmina Wright and District Court judges Ivy Bernhardson, James Florey, Edward Lynch and John Rodenberg.

The once-a-decade assignment of redrawing legislative and congressional boundaries coincides with population changes reflected in the census. The task can determine how competitive races are for years to come and who controls positions of power.

Lawsuits over Minnesota redistricting are pending in state and federal court.

(© Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comments (3)
  1. Victim Du Jour says:

    The reason the Constitution says the State Legislature makes the districts, because 100’s of elected people reflects the “Will of the People”

    Appointed Judges rank pretty low on the democracy scale, and they are being dictators.

    This looks like election fraud by our Judicial
    Branch who are districting the State based on
    what the Democratic Party.

    Maybe the media should point out the last time Judges made election maps, in this State and other states.

    I am pretty sure the Constitution specifically says this Falls under the State Lefislature.

  2. Alex V says:

    The last time judges made the map was 10 years ago. The last time the legislature and governor agreed on a redistricting plan was 1960.

    1. Victim Du Jour says:

      So right Around the time our State began developing debt and spending problems eh?

      When did they start allowing Judges to be appointed from a short list made by the Minnesota Bar Association?