ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Minnesota has appealed the federal government’s denial of disaster aid for homeowners, renters and businesses dealing with damage from last month’s Minneapolis tornado.

At Gov. Mark Dayton’s direction, Minnesota’s top emergency official, Kris Eide, sent a letter of appeal Tuesday to the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

READ MORE: Minnesota Parents Want More School COVID Protocols As Cases Spike

Eide tells FEMA that the hardest-hit areas were inspected a second time after 300,000 pounds of debris were removed, giving inspectors an unobstructed view of damage.

READ MORE: ATF Offers $5,000 Reward For Info Leading To Minneapolis Church Arsonist

Last week FEMA said that the state, local governments and volunteer groups together had the capacity to address tornado damage for individuals. But Eide says increased demand for basic services has overwhelmed voluntary organizations.

Federal assistance is coming to help repair more than $16 million in damage to public infrastructure after President Barack Obama declared a disaster.

MORE NEWS: Public’s Help Requested After Car Stolen With 5-Month-Old Dog Inside; Both May Be In St. Paul Area

(© Copyright 2011 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)