MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – Authorities said a man was taken to the hospital after climbing a power pole and getting an electrical shock in Minneapolis early Wednesday morning.
Police responded to the area of 14th Avenue and 7th Street near the University of Minnesota sometime after 3 a.m. after the incident reportedly caused a power outage. Authorities had no information on why the man climbed up a power pole, but he received an electrical shock and at one point was on fire on the ground.READ MORE: First Major Snowfall Brings Avalanche Of Wintery Pics
Police identified the man Wednesday afternoon as Steven McKinney of Plymouth.READ MORE: Lions Beat Vikings 29-27 For 1st Win Of Season
Authorities said McKinney and a friend were walking to Dinkytown when he climbed up a utility pole, accidentally came in contact with live wires and was knocked to the ground.
The transformer on the pole blew up, knocking out power in the areaMORE NEWS: Gophers Will Play West Virginia In Guaranteed Rate Bowl
Police said McKinney is an experienced climber. He’s now in critical condition at Hennepin County Medical Center.