MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — The St. Louis County Attorney’s Office says a 49-year-old Duluth man has received the maximum sentence for sexually assaulting a preteen girl.
On Monday, Joseph Edward Wilson — who was found guilty of two counts of first-degree criminal sexual conduct — was asked by the judge if he had anything to say before the sentencing. He did not, and the judge sentenced him to the statutory maximum 30-year sentence.
Authorities say the victim’s mother contacted Duluth police after her daughter told her what Wilson had done to her. The mother said the victim had “lost her spark” and had been complaining of headaches. After being asked what was wrong, the girl told her Wilson had sexually abused her.
The victim took to the witness stand and testified against her abuser during the trial.
Assistant St. Louis County Attorney Kristen Swanson prosecuted the case.
“I admire the courage shown by this young girl in standing up for herself and telling her story to a courtroom full of strangers,” Swanson said after the sentencing. “Hopefully, this will be a good start to helping her and her family to heal from this tragic episode.”
Wilson was also convicted of first-degree sex assault in Illinois in 1992.