MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO/AP) – Elevated carbon monoxide levels may be to blame in the death of an 11-year-old girl and her 39-year-old father in a fifth-wheel camper in Rice Lake Township, near Duluth, on Wednesday. The girl’s two siblings were hospitalized.
Michael J. Mechley and his daughter Charlene Mechley were found dead in the camper shortly before 7 p.m. on the 4700 block of Fifth Avenue South.READ MORE: Minnesotans Look To The Sky
Two others, Karley Mechley, 15, and Noah Mechley, 14, were taken to Essentia Hospital for medical treatment, the St. Louis County Sheriff’s Office said. A hospital spokeswoman said the two teens have been transferred to another facility.READ MORE: Fallen Minnesota Officers Honored With NFTs: 'It's Like A Digital Tombstone'
Carbon monoxide levels in the camper were high, according to the Rice Lake Volunteer Fire Department. A generator was near the camper.
Gold Cross Ambulance assisted at the scene.MORE NEWS: Soaking Up The Sun, Safely: How To Best Protect Your Skin, And Spot Skin Cancer
The St. Louis County Medical Examiner’s Office is investigating the deaths.