MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – Several Twin City institutions, restaurateurs and chefs were named among the semifinalists for the 2015 James Beard Awards Wednesday.
The semifinalists were chosen by the Restaurant and Chef Awards committee from a group of over 35,000 submissions nationwide .READ MORE: End Of Federal Eviction Moratorium Won’t Affect Minnesota Renters, State Is On ‘Its Own Timeline’
Out of 12 categories (counting Best Chef only once as it is broken into region), 15 Twin Cities chefs and restaurants were recognized as semifinalists.
The nominations are as follows:
- Best New Restaurant – Spoon and Stable, Minneapolis
- Outstanding Baker – Stephen Horton, Rustica Bakery in Minneapolis and John Kraus, Patisserie 46 in Minneapolis
- Outstanding Restaurant – La Belle Vie, Minneapolis
- Outstanding Restaurateur – Kim Bartmann of Barbette, Bryant – Lake Bowl, Red Stag Supperclub, Pat’s Tap and The Third Bird in Minneapolis.
- Outstanding Service – Restaurant Alma, Minneapolis
- Outstanding Wine, Beer or Spirits Professions – Eric Seed, Haus Alpenz in Edina
The chefs nominated in the Best Chef – Midwest include: Paul Berglund (The Bachelor Farmer); Mike Brown, Bob Gerken and James Winberg (Travail Kitchen and Amusements); Jim Christiansen (Heyday), Doug Flicker (Piccolo); Michelle Gayer (Salty Tart); Russell Klein (Meritage) and Lenny Russo (Heartland Restaurant & Farm District Market).READ MORE: COVID-19 In MN: Health Officials Report 700+ Additional Virus Cases, 5 More Deaths
Three other nominees had Minnesota ties.
Shea, Inc. was nominated for design of a restaurant with over 76 seats for their work on Spoon and Stable. Andrew Zimmern and Tremendous Entertainment was nominated for an on-site TV program for “Bizzare Foods” And WCCO’s Jason DeRusha was nominated for a TV segment for his “DeRusha Eats” segment.
The James Beard Awards is celebrating 25 years and is hosting a special gala for the event. The 2015 James Beard Awards gala will take place at the Lyric Opera of Chicago on May, 4.MORE NEWS: $20K Reward Offered For Info On 2019 Homicide In Maple Grove Park
For more information on the James Beard Awards, and how restaurants are chose, visit the James Beard Foundation online.