MASON CITY, Iowa (AP) — Thirteen people have been treated after inhaling gas at a hotel in northern Iowa.
Mason City firefighters were sent to a Holiday Inn Express a little before 11:45 a.m. Sunday. Fire Capt. Jared Ogbourne says bleach and an acid were accidentally mixed in the laundry room on the first floor, creating chlorine gas.
He says the gas was contained on the first floor, but the entire hotel was evacuated as a precaution.
Medics set up in the hotel parking lot so they could check hotel guests and employees and treat those who’d inhaled the gas.
(© Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)