MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Authorities say one person died and another was hurt after a house fire in St. Cloud Sunday afternoon.
The St. Cloud Police and Fire Departments were called at about 1:37 p.m. to a report of a fire at 2041 Northway Circle. When firefighters arrived, two people were home at the time of the fire. Authorities say a 70-year-old woman, identified as Sharon Lorraine Honer, was taken to St. Cloud Hospital with serious and life-threatening injuries before being airlifted to Hennepin County Medical Center.
Honer later died of injuries suffered in the fire. A second resident, a 42-year-old man, was treated at the scene for minor injuries.
Investigators with the St. Cloud Police Department, St. Cloud Fire Department and State Fire Marshal’s Office have ruled that the fire was accidental and likely caused by cigarette smoking. Authorities said the fire was contained to one upper level room in the home and it caused about $2,000 in damage.