Football season is in high gear, and it’s always fun to try some new foods during your tailgate or while the game is on. Ali Lucia spent some time in the Cambria Kitchen with Le Cordon Bleu chef Ashley Mendel, who shows us some unique Game Day Football Eats.
Quail Scotch Eggs
- 1 lb. ground pork
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- ½ tsp. fresh thyme, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp. fresh cracked black pepper
- ¼ tsp. dry mustard
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 10 quail eggs
- ½ cup duck fat/lard
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 chicken eggs
- 1 cup flour
Method of Preparation:
- Combine ground pork, sea salt, rosemary, thyme, black pepper, dry mustard and garlic in a bowl and set aside.
- Gently place quail eggs in a pot of boiling water and boil for 3.5 minutes. Remove and place hard boiled eggs in ice bath.
- Take off egg shells and place all hardboiled quail eggs in a bowl.
- Using your hands, shape pork mixture into 2 oz. patties.
- Place each quail egg in the center of a patty and wrap the egg in the pork mixture.
- Use your hands to roll patties until they look like meatballs.
- Place three empty bowls in a row adjacent to one another.
- In the first bowl, place 1 cup flour, and salt and pepper for seasoning.
- In the second bowl, whisk 2 chicken eggs together with salt and pepper.
- In the third blow, place 1 cup panko bread crumbs.
- Place the pork mixture ball into the bowl with flour, followed by the bowl with egg, and then bread crumbs.
- Fry the pork balls in a deep fryer set to 350°F for 7 minutes, then season with salt.
- Bake Scotch eggs for about 2-3 minutes to make sure pork is fully cooked.
- Serve and enjoy!
Mini Bite-Size Gyros
Makes 10 Gyros
Ingredients for Tzatziki Sauce:
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, grated and drained
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- ¼ cup fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
Ingredients for Lamb:
- 3 lbs. leg of lamb, boneless
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. ground pepper
- 10 mini pitas
Method of Preparation:
- For Tzatziki, assemble all ingredients together and whisk in a bowl. Cover and place in fridge.
- Slice lamb into thin 1” strips and coat with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Grill strips for 2 minutes per side.
- Assemble Gyros with Tzatziki sauce first, and then add lamb.
- Add fresh cucumber, dill, tomato, feta, Kalamata olives and shaved red onion as desired.