MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Debate over a controversial Minneapolis plan that creates strict scheduling and sick pay requirements for businesses is intensifying.

On Saturday in Minneapolis, workers took the streets to protest in favor of the plan, which, among other things, would require every business in the city to schedule workers 14 days in advance and would require payed sick leave for all workers, including part-timers.

But the opponents of the plan say they are just getting started.

Tim McKee, the owner of the famed restaurant La Belle Vie, announced last week he was closing his restaurant in part because of the proposal.

Like other business owners, McKee said the plan will be too costly, makes scheduling a nightmare and putting Minneapolis businesses at a competitive disadvantage.

Supporters insist the measure is not a done deal.

Minneapolis city council member Lisa Bender, who was a guest on WCCO Sunday Morning, said changes will be made to the agenda as more feedback comes in.

“I think one will be instead of requiring employers to give flexible schedules for certain reasons, we will just say we will allow employers to let their employees request a schedule change,” she said.

Mayor Betsy Hodges has already made one concession to business concerns: the scheduling provision has been rolled back from 28 days to 14 days.

The city has set a Nov. 4 date for a hearing to get more public input. Supporters hope to start phasing in the proposal next year.

Esme Murphy

Comments