MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – A 35-year-old Farmington man told police he heard voices in his head before killing his grandmother with a hammer, according to charges filed in Dakota County.

On Monday, Timothy Steele was charged with felony second-degree murder with intent, but not premeditated, in connection with the Thursday, Oct. 15 incident.

It was Timothy Steele’s mother who called 911 shortly before midnight to report the death. When officers arrived they found 84-year-old Agnes Steele dead. She appeared to have suffered blunt force trauma. Neighbors told WCCO that she had lived at the home for more than 50 years.

According to the complaint, Timothy Steele was sitting on the couch in the living room when officers arrived, appearing very calm and collected. When asked what was going on, he responded “I killed my grandmother.”

Agnes Steele was found deceased in an upstairs bedroom with injuries to the right side of her head.

In a post-Miranda interview, Timothy Steele said he was upset with his grandmother and believed she caused a hole in one of his jackets. He said he was also annoyed that she blew her nose at dinner. After dinner, both Timothy Steele and Agnes Steele went to their respective bedrooms.

Timothy Steele said he then became fixated on the feeling of mucus in his mouth and could smell mucus because she had blown her nose at dinner. He said he also heard voices in his head. That’s when he went downstairs and grabbed a hammer, believing that if he killed her that he would feel better, the complaint said.

According to the complaint, Timothy Steele then went into his grandmother’s bedroom and stood over her, contemplating if he could go through with killing her. He then struck her with the hammer seven to eight times in the head.

Timothy Steele said he then contemplated running and hiding but did not have anywhere to go. He eventually told his mother that he killed his grandmother.

His mother, according to the complaint, needed to convince him not to kill himself and later called 911.

Timothy Steele made his first appearance in court Monday where bail was set at $750,000 without conditions and $500,000 with conditions. His next court appearance is set for Jan. 12, 2016 in Hastings.

If convicted, he faces up to 40 years in prison.