MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A 30-year-old West St. Paul man is charged in the fatal stabbing in South St. Paul on Wednesday morning.

On Friday, the Dakota County Attorney’s Office announced that Anthony Bruce Bartz faces second-degree murder without intent while committing a felony in connection to the death of 36-year-old James Newman Frank of South St. Paul.

According to the South St. Paul Police Department, at around 2 a.m. Wednesday officers responded to a report of an assault in the 400 block of 4th Avenue South. Upon arrival, police found Frank in the front yard of a home who had been stabbed in his upper torso.

First responders administered CPR, but their efforts were unsuccessful. Frank died on the scene.

Helped by witnesses, officers obtained a description of the suspect and were able to locate and arrest Bartz, who was found in possession of a bloody folding knife, the complaint said.

“This was a violent attack that senselessly took the life of James Frank. Our deepest sympathy is extended to the victim’s family and friends,” Dakota County Attorney James Backstrom said.

Bail has been set for Bartz in the amount of $400,000 with conditions and $750,000 without. His next court appearance is set for Nov. 24, 2015.

If convicted, Bartz faces up to 40 years in prison.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.