ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Lawyers representing Minnesota sex offenders in a confinement program deemed unconstitutional are urging a federal judge to keep the pressure on the state to make changes.
In a brief filed Wednesday, the attorneys said U.S. District Judge Donovan Frank should deny a state motion seeking to suspend his order spelling out a list of mandated changes. The Minnesota attorney general’s office and key state officials want Frank to issue a stay of last week’s ruling while they appeal his order. That appeal has been filed.READ MORE: Hopkins Police Investigating Homicide At Apartment Building
Frank ordered the more than 700 offenders in two secure treatment facilities to be urgently reevaluated, with those no longer seen as a serious risk moved to lesser-restrictive settings.READ MORE: Mass Casualty Simulation Helps Nat'l Guard, Children's Minnesota Practice Treating Kids
Their attorney, Dan Gustafson, says suspending the ruling would only further an unconstitutional loss of liberty.MORE NEWS: Amid Missionary Hostage Crisis, Minnesotan From Port-Au-Prince Wishes 'Haiti Would Get The Help They Need'
(© Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)