By John Lauritsen

WASCOTT, Wis. (WCCO) — The tables turned on a hunter this weekend when a bear attacked him.

Tye Carlson survived, but he ended up with stitches over much of his body. The bear weighed more than 350 pounds. The attack happened near Wascott, Wisconsin.

“Beautiful animal when he came out. Then whoops, ‘I think he’s going to get me.’ He got me,” Carlson said.

Carlson has been hunting black bears for more than 40 years. During that time, he has never felt threatened by a bear – that all changed on Saturday.

“He popped out and he wasn’t going to stop. He just ran me over and started biting on me,” Carlson said.

The bear was being chased by members of Carlson’s hunting party, but it was on him before he could shoot.

“I’m a big guy and I couldn’t push him around,” Carlson said.

The bear bit him, clawed him and tore into his body.

“He was doing everything quick and wasting no time,” Carlson said. “I wasn’t too panicked at first, but when he started pushing me around and biting hard I got a little, ‘Uh oh, I’m in trouble here.’”

That’s when the hunting dogs arrived to help Carlson, but they were no match for the 357-pound black bear. As it fought with the dogs, Carlson got his gun and shot the bear several times. Instead of running, it attacked again.

“He had a hold of me here, but I don’t know why he let go,” said Carlson, pointing to a cut on his face. “He was biting me here. I remember that,” said Carlson, while pointing to his right leg.

Finally, another hunter arrived, shot the bear and killed it. The black bear left Carlson black and blue. He lost a lot of blood and now has countless stitches, but he survived and doesn’t blame the bear for trying to do the same.

“He was going down swinging, and that’s what he did. I got lucky. I got away with one. That’s what I did,” Carlson said.

The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources took the head of the bear to be tested for rabies, but they don’t believe the animal was sick.

Comments (8)
  1. Michelle Mitchell says:

I guess he got a taste of the terror and torture that hunting dogs put wildlife through, during the months of training and hunting.

2. Karen Lee says:

What a nightmare. May this culture of violence please cease. Saint Francis must be rolling over in his grave. Wisconsin bears are tempted with millions of gallons of food waste (grease, donuts, candy, you name it), at bait stations in our National Forests. Whatever happened to don’t feed the bears? And the dogs — 20 have died so far this year from encounters with wolves. Those bait stations are often in wolf denning zones. Wolves try to protect their young from the dogs running through. This is animal fighting and nothing less. This man doesn’t blame the bear and I commend him for that, but he was hurt, the bear is dead and how does that make the world any better?

3. David Smith says:

Get so tired of these people complaining about bear hunting. If you don’t like it, don’t do it…and please, for the love of god, be quiet and keep scrolling. This guy did absolutely nothing wrong, and that includes his hunting bear. It is a good and noble pursuit.

4. Kathy Cheatham says:

Wow, that poor bear and the torture it received! How many times was it shot? As far as the bear knew, that asshat was stealing his food since they leave so many tons of it out there. This is just pathetic for a state to treat their wildlife the way Wisconsin does. I’m close to saying, “glad you got a taste of your own medicine your jerk”

5. Sam Lobo says:

The normal behavior of bears is to run at the site of man. We can thank hunting for the great robust population of bears round the US.. Even more we can thank hunting for weeding out those bears that don’t have that heathy fear. Killing bears is natural . Man has be doing so for a long long time!

6. Mike Wagner says:

i find it interesting that the only response from those for this practice is if you don’t like it don’t do it and be quiet??? so every time someone doesn’t agree with your barbaric practice they should just shut up? And chasing bears with dogs doesn’t weed out those that don’t fear man… thats the dumbest comment ever. That would almost make sense if you killed those that came near town and depredated on fluffy, but to chase a bear in its natural habitat doesn’t do anything but torture the bear and its offspring.
    These comments come from the same individuals who would have fought for the south during the civil war. “You damn civilized people if you don’t want to enslave your neighbor then don’t but shut up about it…”

7. Geraldine Scheller says:

As a long time resident of Wascott, forester, hunter, fisherman, with many bear encounters, here, in the Rockies, and in Alaska, and never once was I threatened in any way. It appears the dogs were chasing the bear and he placed himself directly in the escape route so he could get a shot. If the bear was serious this guy would be dead. The bear was terrified. I have spoke out for 30 years BAN bear hunting with dogs. Enough bear can be shot to control population with conventional means. I choose not hunt bear, but understand the need for some to be shot, far fewer than the quotas issued.