By Pat Kessler

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Rep. Sarah Anderson was heading out for a day of campaigning Sunday when she saw a man damaging campaign signs near her Plymouth home.

She saw him kicking at her campaign sign — then others.

Parking her car, Anderson confronted the man.

“I said, ‘You can’t do this!’ And he said, ‘Yes, I can, I’m an anarchist! I can do whatever I want!’ And I said, ‘No, you can’t, that’s not your property,'” Anderson said.

Anderson tried unsuccessfully to videotape the encounter as the man backed her into the street, swearing.

“And he charged at me again, and he said, ‘Go kill yourself,’ and I end up stepping here and there’s traffic coming.”

That’s when Anderson got back in her car and saw the man walking on foot toward a gas station.

She drove to the station and captured a cellphone image of the man charging her — again. He tried to stop her from leaving, punching her in the arm.

“I said, ‘I’m leaving now. I’m leaving now.’ And he was still with his head in my vehicle, just yelling,” Anderson said. “He was irrational, just completely irrational.”

Gas station staffers showed us where the confrontation likely occurred, away from public view.

There were no apparent witnesses, but they are checking security video.

And as for Anderson? She’ll keep campaigning.

“This is not going to change me. I refuse. I cannot live in fear. I refuse,” Anderson said.

Comments (52)
  1. Dennis Holman says:

Pat, your statement, “What happened to her, yesterday, is not in any campaign playbook,” suggests that you have not been paying attention to prominent Democrats on the national scene who are calling for physical violence. Are you whitewashing the news?

2. I don’t remember people behaving like this when McCain and Romney lost? You only see mob violence when democrats lose.

3. Ray Egan says:

Three words for you, Sarah…Permit To Carry

4. Mark Olivares says:

Two to the chest; face gets the rest.

5. Don Evanson says:

Why aren’t you disclosing the victim’s party, Pat? Journalistic sin of omission, attempting to protect the Dem’s?

6. Greg Laden says:

Reminds me of the moment two weeks ago when one of Anderson’s supporters set his dog on me.

1. Joseph Suess says:

Did you act like your friend here in this story Greg? Because creepy, pervy looking people, who charge at ladies and try to scare and attack them sometimes looks very attractive to a good dogs better sense and judgement…

7. The irony is that he, as an anarchist, he should prefer a candidate who wants LESS government, (like a Republican), not more (like a Democrat). Then again, when a clearly EDP*. stops taking their medications (because the funding was curtailed) this sort of thing is more likely to occur. The person’s political ideals likely aren’t in play.

*Emotionally Disturbed Person.