By Kate Raddatz

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — With just a week to go until Thanksgiving, it’s time to buy your turkey. But this year, you can also read about your turkey’s story with a tracker code.

Turkey trackers are being used for the first time on Jennie-O and Honeysuckle White turkeys.  They are subsidiaries of Hormel Foods and Cargill.

“I think it’s great,” said Logan Asche, of St. Louis Park. “I think it’s good to be educated on where your food comes from.”

The interactive online activity allows shoppers to plug in the “Meet Your Farmer” code found on fresh Honeysuckle White turkeys. You can find information about what farm and where the turkey came from, the family who raised it, and even things like their favorite family tradition.

On the Jennie-O turkeys, it’s a five-digit code on the back of the turkey tag that starts with a ‘9.’ Shoppers use that to pull up more information about the turkey online.

“It’s kind of cool since farm-to-table is huge, especially with the salmonella outbreak it’s probably a smart idea to do it,” said Sarah Vergin, of Waconia.

The current salmonella outbreak has been linked to raw turkey, including ground turkey and turkey patty products. While a producer hasn’t been identified, several shoppers said it’s a reminder to know more about where all our food comes from.

For some, they don’t need to know.

“It’s a little too personal,” Vergin laughed.

Minnesota is the No. 1 producer of turkeys. The majority of Jennie-O’s turkeys are raised here and in Wisconsin.

Kate Raddatz

Comments (24)
  1. James Durkin says:

Somehow, I have a feeling that the turkeys would not be as enthused as people seem to be about this.

2. Norman Vance says:

Oh great, a turkey obituary, that’ll be appetizing.🤔🤢😥

3. Paul says:

Jennie-O and Honeysuckle White turkeys. They are subsidiaries of Hormel Foods and Cargill.
    Now Hormel and Cargill can get into the “Fake News” business. Boy, do I have a story for you!

4. Jim Macdonald says:

My Turkey’s name is Stan. He enjoyed a wonderful life among other turkeys on a farm in Virginia. He was protected from the elements, had more than enough water, and plenty of food (infused with Monsanto chemical additives that make the world better). Being a turkey, he didn’t know what was happening when they took him to the chopping block. He never knew what hit him. I just hope he makes good gravy for the mashed potatoes.

5. Ron Hendricks says:

Don’t care where it came from, only where it’s going…

6. Ginny Watson says:

What a waste of internet bandwidth, plus data base hits. If I were going to do this stupid stunt, all the birds would have the same number, or would hit the 1 entry on the data base. Kiss my bird.

7. Luis Martinez says:

We are being overtaken by idiots…

8. Tom Ramanauskas says:

Portlandia

9. I guarantee this was thought up by PETA to try to make people feel guilty about eating turkeys at Thanksgiving. Do they guilt wolves and coyotes and lions for eating THEIR meat??? Of course not! Leave humans alone PETA!!!!!

10. Bob Einstein says:

Who cares about a turkey’s “feelings”?

11. Gary Griffin says:

we can trace a turkey but we can’t find 30 million illegals

12. John Payton says:

The other day I got a nice butterball turkey from wally world. It took a day to get the life history on my bird and I found out, he was raised in Wisconsin and drove a bus in Columbus,Ohio for a year and a half.
    He died in a bus accident and ended up at the butterball plant. A very active bird for the past few years.

13. Bill Sunday says:

“Please don’t introduce me to the pudding, or I shan’t have anything to eat!”