MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — COVID-19’s spread in Minnesota could sideline students from winter sports.
Minnesota Department of Health Commissioner Jan Malcom announced Monday that the number of cases linked to sports is growing, and they’re discussing options with state education leaders.
“From a health advice standpoint, we would really like to see sports put on pause,” Malcolm said.
Health leaders gave these statistics Monday:
- 46 outbreaks from hockey
- 41 outbreaks from volleyball
- 35 outbreaks from football
- 20 outbreaks from basketball
- 15 outbreaks from soccer
MDH says at least 10% of all cases in schools are associated with sports.
More on WCCO.com:
- MDH Urges Adherence To Safety Guidelines After 3rd Straight Day Of 7K+ COVID Cases
- Fmr. Glam Doll Donuts Workers Claim Discrimination; Co-Owner Addresses Controversy
- Several Universities, Colleges Embrace George Floyd Memorial Scholarships
- Why Are Some Minnesotans Ignoring Pleas To Take COVID Seriously?