Report: Team Doctors Supplied Boogaard With Prescription Drugs
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A new report from the New York Times claims former Minnesota Wild player Derek Boogaard was supplied with dozens of prescription drugs from team doctors.
Boogaard died last year of an accidental overdose of narcotic painkillers and alcohol. According to the New York Times report, Boogaard got more than 100 prescriptions for thousands of pills.
They were given to him from team doctors for both the Minnesota Wild and the New York Rangers. The report is now raising questions about the NHL’s policies involving doctors. It also shows a lack of communication between doctors when diagnosing or prescribing medication.
The NHL, Wild and Rangers all declined to comment to the Times. Boogaard’s brother, Aaron Boogaard, pleaded guilty to charges related to his brother’s death last year.
He told police he flushed Derek’s pills down the toilet after finding his brother dead in his apartment in Minneapolis.