MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – Officials confirmed Thursday that a 21-year-old man died of carbon monoxide poisoning during the Eel Pout Festival last month.

sam schooley2 CO Poisoning Confirmed In Death Of Man, 21, At Eel Pout Festival

Sam Schooley (credit: Schooley Family)

The Ramsey County Medical Examiner’s Office says that Samuel Schooley, of Bemidji, died of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning on Feb. 25 at the popular Leech Lake ice fishing festival.

Friends said that they found Schooley unresponsive on the top bunk of a fish house. Doctors reportedly told Schooley’s family that the percentage of carbon monoxide in the young man’s system was 58 percent.

Schooly’s father, Tom Schooley, says he wants others to be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning in fish houses.

“I’m not much of an activist,” he said, “but I probably could be for this.”

Comments

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.