Coronavirus: Latest News | Community Resources | COVID-19 Info | Download Our App | CBSN Minnesota

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — 3M has announced plans to produce two billion N95 respirators within the next year to aid in the fight against COVID-19.

READ MORE: COVID In Minnesota: UK Variant Outbreak Linked To Youth Sports In Carver County, Officials Recommend 2-Week Pause

CEO Mike Roman said Tuesday that the Maplewood-based company delivered 10 million protective face masks to United States medical facilities in the past week alone.

READ MORE: Love Your Melon Switches To Making Cotton Face Masks

He says they will been able to produce 50 million per month by June in the U.S., and another 50 million per month globally.

READ MORE: More Than 1 Million Wisconsin Residents Have Been Vaccinated

Roman underlined that 90% of the face masks are going to health care and public health workers, while the remaining 10% will go to those in industries such as food, energy and pharmaceuticals.

“This is not just a 3M challenge; it’s an industry-wide challenge,” Roman said. “Even with 3M’s accelerated production combined with capacity from other manufacturers, the reality is that demand for N95 respirators is much higher than the industries’ ability to deliver.”

3M is also partnering with Ford to manufacture air purifying respirators.

MORE NEWS: Faces Of COVID: Daryl Kruger, 82, Loved His Grandkids And The MN Twins

READ MORE: Met Council Says Minnesota Travel Declines By 70%